On friendship

Monday, April 7, 2014

It's never been easy for me to make friends, I'm not good at small talk and not overly friendly with strangers. When I meet my husband this became more obvious, true to the cliche he has that certain "southern charm" that makes everyone love him. We had a conversation recently about how I need to be more open with people and try to make new friends. To begin with let me just say that I admit to many of my faults and in this case, I don't consider my lack of  "friendliness"  a bad thing. No I don't have many friends but the ones that I have, are truly valued. You see when I become someones friend I mean it, I am all in. This is what I believe a friendship should be, because I have moved so many times and encountered all types of people, I know for a  fact that in the end this pays off.

When I was 17, the girl who was to become like my sister sat across from me in History class. We agreed on nothing and constantly argued in class about all sorts of topics including politics (because we thought we knew so much...right). We became best friends, we graduated together, lived together, worked together and even went to school together. She even dated, married and has kids with my high school sweetheart's best friend!

So if you happen to meet me one day and I don't immediately jump into a full fledged conversation with you about all things me, consider that I am a person who is reserved, prefers intelligent, friendly banter rather than gossiping about whomever... and that if we take the time to know each other you will never have a better friend.



Us at 17
                           





Almost a decade later on my weeding day she was my maid of honor, we don't always see things the same. We still can get into a good argument, she has two boys, is a conservative and lives in the south. Not someone you would ever picture to be my best friend, but what truly makes a good friendship is being able to see past all that and admiring and loving a person for who they are. I may not have a lot of friends but I can see right through people BS and avoid it, instead opting to be friends with people who will bring something positive to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code