Let him cry

Thursday, August 22, 2013


Ricky is now about 3and a half months old so we started the whole self-soothe, let him cry it out method at bedtime. Since my last post lots of friends have given me suggestions and shared their experience, for which I am very grateful. I have a friend who is a mother of three and is trying to breastfeed for the first time.  In her case she always put her babies right to bed after feeding, no rocking or cuddling just gentle patting to reassure them when they began crying. They are all independent sleepers and need no help with naps. My immediate reaction was shit! I am so screwed, I always rock Ricky in my arms, let him lay on my chest after a feeding and snuggle him until he is fast asleep before putting him down. Am I forever trapped doing this? Then last night I started thinking. Why am I in such a hurry to teach him to self -soothe? How is rocking him or holding him until he falls asleep such a burden? It’s not! I miss him so much that sometimes when I come home and he is sleeping it’s a little disappointing to not see his little smile. It might just be my working mom guilt, it might be that I am a first time mother and I feel like I have to overprotect. I don’t know what it is, but I do know that I cannot be alone. You know those times when your eyeballs burn and you want to just collapse on the floor from exhaustion but you can’t because baby is awake, then somehow when they are asleep you wish they would wake up so you can play with them. It’s a totally insane thought process I get it, but maybe that is why we are moms, that insane thinking is what makes us moms! Maybe Ricky is ready to self-soothe, but when am I going to be ready?  



                       Going to hold on to this just a little bit longer 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code