Why I ETSY

Tuesday, August 27, 2013


I recently set up a little ETSY shop called littlericky, the decision came not because I have so much free time I just don’t know what to do with it or because I am trying to make extra cash. I did it for my mom, not a lot of people know this and I hate to ruin your day with my sob story but if I don’t tell it then it defeats the whole purpose of this post. I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father who was gone for a lot of my early childhood, and while he has since mended the relationship with my brothers and me we owe our family staying together to my mother. My mother, who took the bus with two kids while pregnant 30 minutes away from our home so that I could attend preschool, who took odd end jobs here and there to buy us kids ice cream after school or snacks or whatever we decided we wanted. One Halloween she sewed and sold four costumes so that she could have enough money to make ours, she has just given so much. While we were growing up she had no choice but to stay home with us and be our mom, she neglected her education, her own pursuits for ours. Now she is still a mom to my seven-year-old brother and as she is in her fifties now it is almost impossible for her to go back into the work force. Instead she keeps supporting all her children in any way she can, when I was pregnant with Ricky she crotchet every piece of baby clothes she could, she called me daily, and when he was born she spent two months with me in Hawaii to take care of the baby and all the housework while I worked. It was then that I realized she deserved for me to do something for her and the shop was born, out of gratitude and love, because there is no one more deserving of the little extra time I have in my days than her. This is why I ETSY. Here is some of her work, that I proudly display to anyone who cares to see.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code